My favorite hobby for the past 38 years has been collecting cookbooks. Presently I have close to 500! I found this recipe in one of my favorite books and it's been part of our holiday breakfast tradition for years.
Recommended: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- 1 unsliced round French or sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 4 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 ounces Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup each shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Save removed bread for another use.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and mushrooms until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Remove mixture and set aside; drain all but one tablespoon of drippings. Add eggs; cook and stir gently until set. Stir in sausage mixture; remove from the heat.
- Place bread bottom on a large sheet of foil. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half in the bread bottom, Spoon in egg mixture and cover with remaining cheese. Replace bread top and wrap tightly with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Breakfast Loaf in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p20
Reviews for Stuffed Breakfast Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review