Stuffed Bread Boat Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and diced bread.
- 3. Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
It's easy to mix and match ingredients in the Stuffed Bread Boat. For instance, add some chopped fresh mushrooms or, for lots of color, use a mix of peppers.
1 each: 258 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Boat
"My family loves this recipe! I like how simple it is to make. Tonight I am going to make it with ground turkey and mushrooms. I have made it with shredded cheese added also. So yummy!!"
"We have this cookbook and this is one of my favorites"