While I was up with one of our babies more than 20 years ago, I heard this "secret" family recipe shared on all-night talk show. None of our 12 children or our growing troop of grandchildren ever pass up this special stuffed bread. - Elaine Bent, Middleboro, Massachusetts
Recommended: 30 Grilled Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and diced bread.
- Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Bread Boat in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p78
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Boat
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 24, 2010
"My family loves this recipe! I like how simple it is to make. Tonight I am going to make it with ground turkey and mushrooms. I have made it with shredded cheese added also. So yummy!!"
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2009
"We have this cookbook and this is one of my favorites"