While I was up with one of our babies more than 20 years ago, I heard this "secret" family recipe shared on all-night talk show. None of our 12 children or our growing troop of grandchildren ever pass up this special stuffed bread. - Elaine Bent, Middleboro, Massachusetts
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread; set top aside. Hollow out the loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Dice removed bread and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, spinach and tomato; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and diced bread.
- Spoon into bread shell; replace top. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into slices. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Bread Boat in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p78
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Boat
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review