Stuffed Bread Appetizers
You may want to double the recipe for this hearty cold appetizer because I've found that folks just can't seem to stop eating it! —Tracy Westrom, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (26 inches) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Dried parsley flakes
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices deli ham
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside.
- Hollow out top and bottom of bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard
- removed bread or save for another use). Spread thin layer of
- mayonnaise over bread; sprinkle with parsley.
- Fill each half with cheese mixture. Wrap pickle spears in ham; place
- lengthwise over cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Replace top;
- press together to seal.
- Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, cut into
- 1-in. slices. Yield: about 2 dozen.