Stuffed Bell Peppers
Looking for a great way to give leftover meat loaf a whole new taste? Try this simple stuffed peppers variation sent in by Greg Greinke from Round Rock, Texas. "The tasty filling in these tender peppers gets its zip from salsa and cumin," he comments.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 medium green or sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked meat loaf
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Cut top off peppers and remove seeds. In a large saucepan, cook
- peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold
- water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Remove from the heat; add the meat loaf, rice, salsa, cilantro and
- cumin. Sprinkle inside of peppers with salt and pepper. Stuff with
- meat loaf mixture.
- Place in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer
- or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.