Stuffed Barbecue Burgers Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese of your choice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped tomato
- 3 fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Shape beef into eight patties. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, green pepper, tomato, mushrooms and onions. Top half of the patties with vegetable mixture. Cover with remaining patties and firmly press edges to seal.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with barbecue sauce and sprinkle with sugar. Grill, covered, or broil 5-6 minutes longer on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, basting occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 714 calories, 39 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 180 mg cholesterol, 777 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 56 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.