Stuffed Banana Peppers
This is a delightful change from traditional stuffed green peppers. Banana peppers and chili powder give a little kick. As a bonus, any leftovers reheat nicely in the microwave.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 mild banana peppers
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- Remove stems of peppers; cut peppers in half lengthwise. Carefully
- remove seeds and membrane; set aside. Combine sausage, rice, onions,
- garlic, salt and pepper; mix well. Fill pepper halves. Place in a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce, water and
- chili powder if desired; pour over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until filling is cooked
- and set. Sprinkle with cheese if desired; return to the oven for
- 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 153 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 666 mg sodium,