- 8 mild banana peppers
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- Remove pepper stems; cut peppers in half lengthwise. Carefully remove seeds and membranes; set aside. Combine the sausage, rice, onions, garlic, salt and pepper; stuff into pepper halves.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce, water and, if desired, chili powder; pour over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until filling is cooked and set. Sprinkle with cheese if desired; return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Stuffed Banana Peppers
Sort By :
"We have an abundance of banana peppers from the garden so this recipe was needed! The flavors blend very well with one another. The mozzarella cheese brings it all together. One thing my husband added was 2 oz of cream cheese in the meat mixture to permeate the cheese flavor throughout."
"These were awesome! I'll be making them frequently over the summer with peppers from the garden. I had hot banana peppers and they worked out just fine instead of mild."
"Yum, makes the house smell great!"