Stuffed Asiago-Basil Mushrooms
Don't like mushrooms? Guess again…you will now! These pretty appetizers taste divine. For a main dish, double the filling and use large portobellos. (This recipe was first place winner in the Mushrooms Every Day, Every Way contest "Inspiring Appetizers" category.) —Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 24 baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place mushrooms on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake
- at 375° for 10 minutes. Drain liquid from mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, place the mayonnaise, Asiago cheese,
- basil and pepper; cover and process until blended.
- Fill mushrooms with a heaping teaspoonful mayonnaise mixture; top
- with tomato. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 stuffed mushroom (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 35 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.