- 2 medium artichokes
- Lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Rinse artichokes well; trim stem. Cut 1 in. off the top. Snip the tip of each leaf with a kitchen shears. Brush cut edges with lemon juice. Spread artichoke open. Using a small knife, carefully cut around center choke. Scoop out and discard the fuzzy center.
- In a saucepan, place artichokes in a steam basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover; steam for 20-25 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert on a paper towel to drain.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, ketchup, bread crumbs, basil, parsley and garlic. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Stuff meat mixture into center of artichokes and between leaves. Place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and water; pour over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Artichokes in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p165
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Stuffed Artichokes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review