Stuffed Apricot French Toast Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds) French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Stir in nuts; set aside.
- 2. Cut bread into 1-1/2-in. slices; cut a pocket in the top of each slice. Fill each pocket with about 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg and remaining vanilla. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling.
- 3. Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lightly browned on both sides. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan; heat through. Drizzle over hot French toast. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 632 calories, 31g fat (15g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Apricot French Toast
"I've been making this for years, I believe I got the recipe from one of the toh holiday books. Recipe called for 8 oz. crushed pineapple in the filling. WONDERFUL !!!!!"
"This is a wonderful dish for a special breakfast or brunch."
"I found this recipe many years ago in the magazine. I was thrilled to find it here so that I can share it with my friends. My family loves this recipe. I use to serve it on Christmas. I use chopped pecans."
"Excellent for breakfast or brunch. Easy to make ahead of time, and is even good reheated. A family favorite. Have passed the recipe on many times."