Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 medium unpeeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup water
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a blender, combine the walnuts, raisins and sugar; cover and process until blended. Stir in butter; set aside. Core apples and remove enough pulp to leave a 1-in. shell. Fill each apple with about 1/4 cup nut mixture.
- 2. Place in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Pour water around apples. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, for custard sauce, combine the sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk and cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Serve with warm apples. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 533 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 167 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce
"I cut the recipe in half and made two of them for dinner. I used brown sugar with the butter, raisins and nuts. I was surprised there was no cinnamon but they really didn't need it. I will make these again!!!"