Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 medium unpeeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup water
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a blender, combine the walnuts, raisins and sugar; cover and process until blended. Stir in butter; set aside. Core apples and remove enough pulp to leave a 1-in. shell. Fill each apple with about 1/4 cup nut mixture.
- 2. Place in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Pour water around apples. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, for custard sauce, combine the sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk and cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Serve with warm apples. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 533 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce
"I cut the recipe in half and made two of them for dinner. I used brown sugar with the butter, raisins and nuts. I was surprised there was no cinnamon but they really didn't need it. I will make these again!!!"