Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce Recipe
Chock-full of old-fashioned goodness, this baked apple recipe is yummy...to the core. Its sauce drizzles on so smooth and creamy, it rivals the fanciest desserts.
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 medium unpeeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup water
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine the walnuts, raisins and sugar; cover and process until blended. Stir in butter; set aside. Core apples and remove enough pulp to leave a 1-in. shell. Fill each apple with about 1/4 cup nut mixture.
- Place in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Pour water around apples. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for custard sauce, combine the sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk and cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Serve with warm apples. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p28
Reviews for Stuffed Apples with Custard Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review