Stuffed Acorn Squash
“At the end of the growing season, we always have a few acorn squash remaining," says Laurina Jo Tucker of La Marque, Texas. "I usually bake the squash with butter and honey, but decided to try something more savory and I came up with this.”
2 ServingsPrep/Total TIme: 25 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup medium salsa
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a
- microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes
- or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Turn
- squash cut side up. Stuff with ham mixture. Cover and microwave on
- high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 stuffed squash equals 309 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 971 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.