Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Invert squash in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the apple, rice, sunflower kernels and curry. Cook and stir until apple is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the egg, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Place 1 teaspoon remaining brown sugar and 1 teaspoon butter in each half. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Fill with meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Stuffed Acorn Squash(10)
Sort By :
This is an amazingly tasty dish and healthy too! I used wild rice and sliced toasted almonds,,,yum yum . Thank you Ruth
This is an awesome meal! I like to eat mostly vegetarian meals, so will try substituting mushrooms for the meat.
I was surprised at the delicious flavor and my 2 and 4 year old ate all their dinner for once! Easy to make dish. Made no changes.
The stuffing was delicious! I forgot roast the squash before stuffing (it was one of THOSE dinner prep nights) so we ended up microwaving the squash and then dumping the stuffing on top. It worked. I can't wait until next time when I make it the *right* way!
This was absolutely delicious and easy to make