Strudel Sticks Recipe
"I like to prepare these pretty fruit- and coconut-filled pastries ahead and freeze them until needed," relates Louise Holmes of Winchester, Tennessee.
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup peach or apricot preserves, divided
- 30 vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 20 pecan halves
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg yolk; add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork to form a soft dough. Divide in half; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12-in. square. Spread with preserves. Combine crushed wafers and coconut; sprinkle over preserves.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style; seal seam. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cut widthwise with a sharp knife three-fourths of the way through dough every 1 in. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Place a pecan half on each slice.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistence; drizzle over pastries. Yield: 2 pastries (10 serving each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 241 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC