- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 12 slices process American cheese
- 12 slices hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Canola oil
- Oregano to taste
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add oil, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until not longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread mustard lengthwise down half of each rectangle; layer with American cheese, salami, beef, ham and mozzarella. Fold plain half of dough over filling and seal ends well. Brush with oil; sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; cut into 1-in. slices. Yield: 16 servings, 1 slice per serving.
Reviews for Stromboli
"Easy & Delicious! Also used the same dough recipe for a chicken bacon ranch stromboli. Just spread on ranch dressing, add shredded roasted chicken, cooked bacon, and mozz. Yum!"
"Absolutely love this recipe! To save time, I usually buy a wad of pizza dough from either our grocery store's bakery or from a local pizzeria. I usually brown the ground beef with some green pepper and onion."
"I have made this recipe many times and it is always a winner. I have substituted pepperoni for the salami and usually season the ground beef before adding it. Doubles and triples easily"