Stromboli Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, oregano, fennel seed and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic powder; spread over top halves of bread. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over each bottom bread half. Spoon meat mixture over top; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Replace bread tops; wrap each sandwich loaf in foil. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 sandwich loaves (8 servings each).
1 slice: 355 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Stromboli Sandwiches
"This was okay but not great. I made 1/2 recipe and served it on individual Italian hoagie rolls, since I live alone and was not having company."
"Made these for dinner tonight. A big hit. I recommend tasting before building the sandwiches. I added salt & pepper. I also used 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 Italian sausage. Left out the fennel. I didn't measure the cheese, just put it on by handfuls. Really good with banana peppers or pepperoncinis. Next time I will add chopped bell peppers."
"My family wasn't overly impressed with this recipe. Edible but not something I will be making again. Very easy to make though! :-)"
"Yum! Husband approved!"
"We really like these and will make again many times. Our local pizzaria makes them with ground sausage and onion. My husband wants me to try making those too."
"I've made these a number of times.Great for bunco & poker parties."
"This is a terrific recipe, My family loves-um"
"I made half the recipe and used only one loaf of bread, although I did use more cheese! My husband and I enjoyed this!-Lori"
"My family really enjoyed these. I had left over meat, so made extra sandwiches in buns!"
"These are amazing and even better the second day warmed up. Already a family favorite."
"We have made this numerous times now...a big hit with the family. Yummy with sauteed mushrooms, and peppers."