Like a sloppy Joe with Italian seasonings, these hearty sandwich slices fill the bill at card parties, potlucks, reunions and more. "I've made them dozens of times and never tire of eating or serving them." —Darlis Wilfer, West Bend, Wisconsin
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, oregano, fennel seed and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic powder; spread over top halves of bread. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over each bottom bread half. Spoon meat mixture over top; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Replace bread tops; wrap each sandwich loaf in foil. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 sandwich loaves (8 servings each).
Originally published as Stromboli Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p47
Reviews for Stromboli Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review