I like to keep the ingredients for this sandwich on hand. That way, I can reach for them on busy days when time gets away from me and dinnertime is fast approaching.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- butter, softened
- 1 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into rings
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion. Drain. Season with the garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in mushrooms and sour cream; set aside.
- Butter the cut surface of the bread. Place it with the buttered side up on a baking sheet; broil until light golden brown.
- Reset oven to 375°. Spread bread with ground beef mixture. Top with the tomatoes, pepper rings and cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Stroganoff Sandwich in Country Woman September/October 1993, p37
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Stroganoff Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review