Striped Icebox Cookies Recipe
I've been using this recipe ever since I was a little girl. I like it because it's easier than making cutout cookies. You can easily mix-and-match your favorite ingredients to create different looks. —Patricia Reese, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon nonpareils
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide into thirds; place in three bowls. Add cherries and food coloring to one portion, chocolate to another portion and nonpareils to remaining portion.
- 3. Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper. Spread cherry dough over bottom. Cover with chocolate dough, then remaining dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 4. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Striped Icebox Cookies
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2008
"These were very easy to make, but just a little bland, I will try a tsp of vanilla next time."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC