- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 teaspoons nonpareils
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide into thirds. Add cherries and food coloring to one portion, chocolate to another portion and nonpareils to remaining portion.
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper. Spread cherry dough over bottom. Cover with chocolate dough, then remaining dough. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. For easier handling, freeze until firm, 10-15 minutes. Bake 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Striped Icebox Cookies
"I agree that they were a bit bland, I will try adding vanilla next time. They do spread, but my family really enjoyed them. I cut the blocks again, making each cookie smaller, which worked out better for me. I found that they are even better, slightly over cooked and crispy (although the white layer will brown)."
"easy to make, and the raw dough looked perfect, but when I baked them, they got huge and bleached out. they were also bland. very disappointed. I have an oven thermometer, and am an experienced baker. won't be making again."
"These were very easy to make, but just a little bland, I will try a tsp of vanilla next time."