- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 teaspoons nonpareils
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide into thirds. Add cherries and food coloring to one portion, chocolate to another portion and nonpareils to remaining portion.
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper. Spread cherry dough over bottom. Cover with chocolate dough, then remaining dough. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. For easier handling, freeze until firm, 10-15 minutes. Bake 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Striped Icebox Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p85
Reviews for Striped Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2008
"These were very easy to make, but just a little bland, I will try a tsp of vanilla next time."