String Cheese Stuffed-Crust Pizza Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 ounces string cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, yeast, sugar and salt.
- 2. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased 14-in. pizza pan.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to prepared pan, letting dough drape over the edge. Cut string cheese in half lengthwise; place around edge of pan. Fold dough over string cheese; pinch to seal. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes.
- 4. Combine pizza sauce and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning; spread half over crust. Sprinkle with beef mixture and mushrooms; cover with remaining pizza sauce mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses and remaining Italian seasoning. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Yield: 8 slices.
1 serving (2 each) equals 877 calories, 39 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 1,206 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.