Streusel-Topped Plum Muffins Recipe
Living on a fruit farm, I had plenty of fresh ingredients on hand when I found this muffin recipe. Originally, it called for cherries, but my husband and I agree it's delicious made with our homegrown plums. —Betty Timmreck, Eau Claire, Michigan
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh plums
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Fold in plums. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 15 muffins.
1 muffin equals 255 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC