I had company coming and needed a new breakfast casserole, so I made up this nutty idea using waffles. My neighbors and husband were happy taste testers. —Joan Hallford, Fort Worth, Texas
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 15 frozen waffles, thawed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until blended. Place half of the waffle pieces in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drop cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls over waffles. Layer with blueberries and remaining waffles.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon until blended; pour over waffles. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until set and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Streusel-Topped Blueberry Waffle Casserole in Taste of Home April/May 2016, p74
Reviews for Streusel-Topped Blueberry Waffle Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review