Streusel Squash Dessert Recipe
“I call this my ‘I Won’t Tell Them It’s Squash if You Don’t’ Dessert,” chuckles Teri Rasey of Cadillac, Michigan. Her holiday treat features a praline-like topping.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 55 min. + chilling YIELD:15-18 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- Whipped cream and additional cinnnamon, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and sugars; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- 3. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, cornstarch and seasonings. Gradually beat in 4 cups squash, milk and eggs until smooth (save any remaining squash for another use). Pour over crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 6. Garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15-18 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 317 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC