Streusel Squash Dessert Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- Whipped cream and additional cinnnamon, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and sugars; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- 3. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, cornstarch and seasonings. Gradually beat in 4 cups squash, milk and eggs until smooth (save any remaining squash for another use). Pour over crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 6. Garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15-18 servings.
1 piece: 317 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Streusel Squash Dessert
"One can of evap milk like dome77 said; add topping during last 15-20 minutes. I doubled the topping and I'm glad I did."
"I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out beautifully! Cuts and presents nicely.My whole family enjoyed it!"
"Use one can of evap. milk. Bake the squash instead of boiling it. Don't add topping until the last 15 minutes of baking time."