Streusel Rhubarb Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or sliced frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and oil. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut with a serrated knife. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 138 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Streusel Rhubarb Bread
"Nice combo of sweet and sour. 45 minutes is plenty"
"Idk..... I didn't think it was fabulous. Rated it about a C/C+ at best. Didn't have much of a rhubarb flavor. I think it needs more rhubarb .. prob 3 cups.?.?="
"I picked some rhubarb this morning and had buttermilk so looked and found this recipe. I made muffins as there are only 2 of us. I baked for for 45 min in 350* oven. (all ovens are different and 40 minutes may be fine.) I forgot to make the topping as I was doing other things and also did not add the nuts because I do not care or them in my cakes, etc.Great recipe and I will make again.Thanks so much.LeonaI made again and baked the muffins for 40 minutes. This time I remember the topping."
"Very Yummy! I cut it and put butter on the slice! OhhhhhhhhhhSOOOOOOOgood! :)"
"This bread is delicious! Wonderful texture- moist but light. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon to the batter and increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. in the topping.Instead of using 2 loaf pans I divided the batter into 5 mini loaf pans. That way you get topping with every bite. :) They are pretty enough to give as gifts."
"A little crumbly while still warm, absolutely scrumptous the next day!!!"
"One of the best breads I have ever made!~ Theresa"
"this bread is delish.... i make it without the topping- i put a little cinnamon in the batter. my husband doesn't like rhubarb but LOVES this bread. also- i make the whole recipe in a bundt pan."
"Made this today and took into the office - it was enjoyed by all. Nice, quick recipe to whip up in the morning."