Streusel Rhubarb Bread Recipe
This tender bread from Irene Sankey of Stevens Point, Wisconsin has a sweet crunchy topping and great rhubarb taste. "My family asks me to make it time and time again," she comments.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or sliced frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and oil. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut with a serrated knife. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC