Streusel Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Basic pumpkin pie is good, but we think this dressed-up version is even better. Plenty of pecans add a nutty crunch to the pastry and the streusel topping. It's a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or any time you want to end a dinner with something special. -Bertha Johnson, Indianapolis, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, pecans and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; place pastry in pie plates. Flute edges and set aside.
- 2. Combine pie mix, milk and egg; pour into pastry shells. For topping, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edges of pastry loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 355 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC