I prepare two different mixes—one for the cake and one for the topping—to make this sweet breakfast treat. I often give these mixes as fun holiday gifts. Along with the recipe, I usually include a cake pan, wooden spoon and festive dish towel. —Barbara Stewart, Portland, Connecticut
- COFFEE CAKE MIX:
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- STREUSEL MIX:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine coffee cake mix ingredients; set aside. Combine the first four streusel ingredients; add pecans. Store both mixes in separate airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (6 cups of cake mix, 2-1/4 cups of streusel).
- To prepare coffee cake: In a bowl, combine 2 cups of cake mix, egg, milk and oil. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Combine 3/4 cup streusel mix and butter; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings per batch.
Originally published as Streusel Coffee Cake Mix in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p59
Reviews for Streusel Coffee Cake Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review