- lemon-colored; beat in vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour, baking
- powder, salt and walnut mixture; fold into egg mixture alternately
- with whipped cream.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before
- removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. In
- a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until
- blended. Fold in whipped cream.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup
- frosting. Top with a second cake layer. Reserve 2 tablespoons
- preserves for strawberries; spread half of the remaining preserves
- over top of cake to within 1/2 inch of edge. Repeat layers.
- Frost sides of cake with remaining frosting. For a basket weave
- design, run a small offset spatula around cake to form ridges,
- stopping and starting at short intervals. Arrange strawberries over
- top. In a microwave, melt reserved preserves; brush over
- strawberries. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 491 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.