Strawberry Tunnel Cake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a 10-in. ungreased tube pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 2. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Tear removed cake into 1-in. cubes.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in extract and food coloring if desired. Stir in cake cubes and strawberries. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping.
- 4. Fill tunnel with strawberry mixture; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 267 calories, 8 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Tunnel Cake
"This cake was very good, but we found it a bit too rich for us, hence, 4 star rating. If you prefer really rich tasting food you'll love this one! Probably won't make again unless I make some adjustments."
"Have made this several times! Always a hit!"
"I've made this cake many, many times. Everyone always loves it and there are NO leftovers! This is always a good sign! Once you get the hang of hollowiing out the cake, it is very easy, but it took a time or two for me to get the hang of it. It is a relatively easy cake to make."
"My family is always requesting this for special occasions! We love it!"
"Everyone LOVED this at the Ladies' Tea that I hosted. Even at Christmas, this went over well. It is light and tasty with just enough richness in the filling to please eveyone, especially my hubby."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.