- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 to 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 14 to 16 large strawberries, stems removed
- 1/4 cup currant jelly, melted
- Slivered orange peel, optional
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of ungreased 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottom. Line unpricked shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in cream cheese and orange juice. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar until blended.
- Spread over bottoms of baked crust. Arrange berries over chocolate mixture. Brush jelly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Garnish with orange peel if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Truffle Tarts in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p282
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Truffle Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review