Strawberry Swirls Recipe
Meet the Cook: My mother-in-law's apple cobbler was the inspiration for my variation. We - my husband, a grown son and I - consider it our special spring treat. And it is amazing how many family members and friends "pop over" during strawberry season! Actually, though, about any time is the right time to enjoy it. -Paula Steele, Obion, Tennessee
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries, drained
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; allow to cool. Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8-10 times. Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; sprinkle with the strawberries. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal the seam. Cut into 12 slices. Place with cut side down over butter. Carefully pour syrup around rolls.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and edges are bubbly. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 334 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC