- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries, drained
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; allow to cool. Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8-10 times. Roll into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; sprinkle with the strawberries. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal the seam. Cut into 12 slices. Place with cut side down over butter. Carefully pour syrup around rolls.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and edges are bubbly. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Swirls
Sort By :
"Growing up my mother always made this recipe using raspberries and it was always my favourite. The only difference is I spray the pan with non-stick spray and then pour the syrup into the bottom of the pan. Then the pinwheels just sit in the syrup."
"I was wondering if the taste would be worth all the fuss-and-bother. It was!!! The recipe would whip up quickly if you have your strawberries already hulled and chopped. (It took a little longer for me because we have small strawberries in our garden.) I agree with the other reviews that there is way too much syrup - I will decrease this in the future. The dough is very soft, so it takes more than a light dusting on your sideboard.My family was wondering if I could do the same with apples and add a dusting of cinnamon...I'm willing to try!"
"Although I found the dough a little too soft, I loved the recipe! I also changed it up just a bit...used 1 1/2 cups sugar and water to make the syrup, and I spread cream cheese on the dough before i added the strawberries. It almost tastes like a strawberry cobbler, and a cheese danish all in one. I will make this again and again!"
"I was disappointed in this recipe. It was messy to make and doesn't have a very appetizing look. The taste was just ok. but there was way too much syrup!"