Strawberry Sponge Cake
For dessert, this dessert uses purchased sponge cake. So there's no need for baking. To showcase its pretty strawberry-red layer, I dish it up in clear dessert glasses or dishes like a trifle.Ruth Taylor, Greeneville, Tennessee
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 carton (13-1/2 ounces) strawberry glaze
- 9 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries and glaze; set aside. Slice
- cakes in half lengthwise; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth; fold in the
- whipped topping. Spread over cakes. Spoon strawberry mixture over
- top. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual serving dishes. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 321 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.