Strawberry Spinach Salad
Not only is this salad a treat to eat, it's a delight to the eyes, thanks to the vibrant green and red ingredients. "I made it by combining several recipes, then added a few extra touches," tells Cathy Linzbach of East Grand Forks, Minnesota. "It's great to serve at ladies' luncheon."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, onion, sunflower
- kernels and sesame seeds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine
- the remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over salad and gently
- toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 68 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.