Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, confectioners' sugar and extract. In another bowl, mash 1/2 cup strawberries; stir into yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Combine the flours, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Split shortcakes horizontally in half. Spread yogurt mixture over cake bottoms; top with remaining strawberries and cake tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 213 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcakes
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.