- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake
"made this fir a dinner party. Delicious. I took sliced strawberries. We all agreed it needed extra strawberries. It was defn. a hit. With an extra shortcake, I heated some frozen blueberries. Poured over the sliced shortcake with a dab of whipped cream. Also delicious."
"Made it this weekend using 1/3 cup butter instead of shortening and it came out great. I used fresh strawberries with no sugar and it was delicious."
"Based on advice of previous reviews, I reduced sugar to 1/3 c for batter. To make my strawberries juicier, I added 1/4 c sugar once washed and sliced. I sprinkled a little turbinado sugar on top for texture. Cake came out fantastic! Strawberry shortcake is one of my hubby's favorite desserts and he raved about this cake. I can!t wait to make it with fresh-picked summer berries (won't need the extra sugar then). Yummy!"
"OMG!! Love this shortcake recipe!! Will be making for a long time!! Thanks!! ??"
"fsunoles you can but you need to increase the butter amount slightly. You'd probably want 1/3 cup of butter instead of 1/4 cup of shortening."