- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake
"This recipe is perfect for persons like me who keep few ingredients on hand beyond the staples! The cake is light and fluffy, and tastes far better than store-bought. In place of shortening, I used coconut oil, and rather than whipped cream, I spoon-crushed a few strawberries and sprinkled with sugar before chilling to make strawberry syrup, which I drizzled over top of the cake and strawberries. Looks like I'll be stopping at the farmer down the road more often this season, for strawberries. (NOTE to those who think that the cake is too dense: you might be packing and/or using too much flour; make sure you are sifting the flour, or if you don't have a sifter, whisk the flour first, at its source, then lightly spoon it into the measuring cup.)"
"I love this shortcake recipe although I do use butter rather than shortening. It has a great texture that reduces sogginess and it isn't too sweet...leaving the sweetness quotient for the strawberries."
"made this fir a dinner party. Delicious. I took sliced strawberries. We all agreed it needed extra strawberries. It was defn. a hit. With an extra shortcake, I heated some frozen blueberries. Poured over the sliced shortcake with a dab of whipped cream. Also delicious."
"Made it this weekend using 1/3 cup butter instead of shortening and it came out great. I used fresh strawberries with no sugar and it was delicious."
"Based on advice of previous reviews, I reduced sugar to 1/3 c for batter. To make my strawberries juicier, I added 1/4 c sugar once washed and sliced. I sprinkled a little turbinado sugar on top for texture. Cake came out fantastic! Strawberry shortcake is one of my hubby's favorite desserts and he raved about this cake. I can!t wait to make it with fresh-picked summer berries (won't need the extra sugar then). Yummy!"