Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
In our farmhouse kitchen, I grew up helping my mom make soup and pies. My husband's a doctor, and we live on a "hobby farm" here in the Skagit Valley. Through the years, we've raised everything from turkeys to horses. Right now, there are steers in the pasture. Larry and I have four children. The eldest was married last summer...the youngest is finishing kindergarten!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- 1. In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- 2. Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC