In our farmhouse kitchen, I grew up helping my mom make soup and pies.
My husband's a doctor, and we live on a "hobby farm" here in the Skagit Valley. Through the years, we've raised everything from turkeys to horses. Right now, there are steers in the pasture.
Larry and I have four children. The eldest was married last summer...the youngest is finishing kindergarten!
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat
- well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the
- creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake
- at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with
- whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with
- more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.