This recipe was given to me by a co-worker, and it gets rave reviews every time. I've tried it with other fruits, including blueberries, cherries, and peaches. All work out great. — Michele Trachier, Pasadena, Texas
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 package (.6 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern across top of hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Shortcake Dessert in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review