- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 package (.6 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern across top of hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Yield: 20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Dessert
Sort By :
"I made this for a covered dish dinner and it was a big hit, it was gone quickly. My husband asked me to make it again, I definitely will. I added 1 tsp. Vanilla to the cake batter, other than that I followed the recipe. This is a keeper! 5 stars!"
"Kids love, love, love this dessert. Such stuff that dreams are made of! I wouldn't change a thing. D-lish! 1,000 stars lol, also not to forget to mention this is the perfect dessert for my son's diet."
"Everyone loved this dessert! Mine looked marbelized like the picture. I will make this again. Simple and easy to make."
"This is truly a tried and true recipe with many variations. We called it poke cake years ago. I just love all the wonderful ideas of using vanilla pudding in the whipped cream or spreading custard pudding over the top with sprinkles. Super good ideas! If you bake the cake from scratch or buy one to bake this recipe is a winner!!!"