Strawberry Shortcake Cookies Recipe
Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts. I thought it would be great to capture all that wonderful flavor in a cookie. The pastry-like cookie is topped with pink strawberry frosting. —Allison Anderson, Avondale, Arizona
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine water and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the butter, strawberries and milk until combined. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until blended. Spread over cookies; garnish with additional sliced strawberries if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 232 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC