Strawberry Schaum Torte Recipe
I've served this impressive dessert at baptisms and holidays and enjoy making it for our children and grandchildren when they come to visit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the water, vinegar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and do not open door; let crust dry in oven overnight.
- 3. For filling, in a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in the strawberries, lemon juice and salt (mixture will thicken quickly). Fold in cream. Spread over crust. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC