Strawberry Schaum Torte
This recipe was handed down from my German grandma. She took great pride in serving this delicate dessert. Whenever I make it, I'm filled with warm memories of childhood.
-Diane Krisman, Hales Corners, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature
- for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add vinegar, vanilla and salt to egg
- whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat
- in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy
- peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool (meringue will
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 206 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium,