- cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in whipped cream. Pour into
- pie shell. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Mash 1 cup strawberries; set remaining berries aside. In a small
- saucepan, bring crushed berries and water to a boil; cook,
- uncovered, for 2 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth; discard fruit
- and set liquid aside to cool.
- In another saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in
- berry liquid until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool
- for 20 minutes.
- Slice the reserved strawberries; arrange over chilled filling. Pour
- glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before
- serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 380 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.