Strawberry Satin Pie Recipe
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. Cover bottom of pie shell with almonds; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Mash 1 cup strawberries; set remaining berries aside. In a small saucepan, bring crushed berries and water to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth; discard fruit and set liquid aside to cool.
- 4. In another saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in berry liquid until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool for 20 minutes.
- 5. Slice the reserved strawberries; arrange over chilled filling. Pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 380 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Strawberry Satin Pie
"Filling is not overly sweet like most cream pies. Cuts beautifully and is delicious!"
"made this today and took to a family get-together.......it was the first dessert to be wiped out!!! I will deffinetly make this again! "
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.