Strawberry Satin Pie Recipe
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. Cover bottom of pie shell with almonds; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Mash 1 cup strawberries; set remaining berries aside. In a small saucepan, bring crushed berries and water to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth; discard fruit and set liquid aside to cool.
- 4. In another saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in berry liquid until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool for 20 minutes.
- 5. Slice the reserved strawberries; arrange over chilled filling. Pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 380 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Satin Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.