This fun, fresh-tasting salsa from Nancy Whitford of Edwards, New York, is strawberry-sweet with just a hint of bite. “I found the recipe in our local paper years ago. It really adds a punch to fish, chicken or tortilla chips and has wonderful color and eye appeal.”
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup seeded chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped Anaheim pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl,
- combine honey and lemon juice; gently stir into strawberry mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Stir just before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 25 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.