- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
"This salad was delicious! Very sweet. I used stevia instead of sugar for the almonds (with a halved recipe), and it turned out great!"
"This salad is delicious! My wife and I love it with grilled or sauteed chicken breast added to make it a full meal. Be patient when melting the sugar for the almonds...it takes longer than stated in the recipe for me but it will eventually melt and is well worth the wait as the sweet crunchy clusters are the perfect compliment to the salad."
"I've been making this recipe for years! This is a keeper!"
"Tastes like summer in a bowl! It's so good!"
"healthy and so simple, easy to make."
"It was really good. My husband even liked it. I just bought poppy seed dressing."
"I really like this recipe. My husband is diabetic, so I don't use the sugar. We like the almonds sprinkled on the salad without the additional sweetness."
"Very good recipe and very easy to make. My husband didn't think he was going to like it but loved it. Great summer salad and perfect dressing to go with it."
"This was a delicious salad. Similar to a few other reviewers, I just used the almonds as is, and didn't add any additional sugar. I'm sure it would be delicious, but combined with the sweetness of the strawberries I thought it might be too much. Absolutely wonderful dressing. I didn't change a thing there."