- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Sort By :
"This was a delicious salad. Similar to a few other reviewers, I just used the almonds as is, and didn't add any additional sugar. I'm sure it would be delicious, but combined with the sweetness of the strawberries I thought it might be too much. Absolutely wonderful dressing. I didn't change a thing there."
"This salad tastes like summer - I love it! I sometimes throw in baby spinach along with the romaine. Also, I just toast the almonds instead of using the extra sugar."
"I love nuts, but am not crazy about all of that sugar, so I just throw the almonds in "as is." Chopped walnuts or cashew halves & pieces work well in this salad also. For some extra color and flavor, I sometimes add fresh pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges. This salad is SO refreshing on a hot summer day!"
"I made this with Tahini instead of the sesame seeds and 1 tsp of sugar, and baby spinach it was Delicious by far the best salad ever."
"Great salad! Boy friend said that he likes most of the salads I make pretty well, but this one was "absolutely delicious". I'm taking it to a potluck dinner tomorrow!"