- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn (about 8 cups)
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Place sugar in a small heavy skillet; cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and caramel colored, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool.
- Place romaine, onion and strawberries in a large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients; toss with salad. Break candied almonds into pieces; sprinkle over salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
"Refreshing salad. I made along side salmon and rice. I left off the candied almonds because of family preferences (sigh)."
"This salad was delicious! Very sweet. I used stevia instead of sugar for the almonds (with a halved recipe), and it turned out great!"
"This salad is delicious! My wife and I love it with grilled or sauteed chicken breast added to make it a full meal. Be patient when melting the sugar for the almonds...it takes longer than stated in the recipe for me but it will eventually melt and is well worth the wait as the sweet crunchy clusters are the perfect compliment to the salad."
"I've been making this recipe for years! This is a keeper!"
"Tastes like summer in a bowl! It's so good!"
"It was really good. My husband even liked it. I just bought poppy seed dressing."
"I really like this recipe. My husband is diabetic, so I don't use the sugar. We like the almonds sprinkled on the salad without the additional sweetness."