Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
My family really enjoys this refreshing salad. If strawberries aren’t available, you can substitute mandarin oranges and dried cranberries. —Irene Keller, Kalamazoo, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 112 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC