Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
My family really enjoys this refreshing salad. If strawberries aren’t available, you can substitute mandarin oranges and dried cranberries. —Irene Keller, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 112 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC