- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
"This salad was delicious! Very sweet. I used stevia instead of sugar for the almonds (with a halved recipe), and it turned out great!"
"I am one of those people who follow the recipe as is. This salad was a hit at Easter dinner and not hard to prep ahead and then throw together after church and before dinner. The sugared almonds added just the right crunch."
"This salad is delicious! My wife and I love it with grilled or sauteed chicken breast added to make it a full meal. Be patient when melting the sugar for the almonds...it takes longer than stated in the recipe for me but it will eventually melt and is well worth the wait as the sweet crunchy clusters are the perfect compliment to the salad."
"I've been making this recipe for years! This is a keeper!"
"Tastes like summer in a bowl! It's so good!"